BATS Chi-X Europe (BATS) today reported September data and highlights, including a new record pan-European market share of 26.0%. The previous record market share, of 25.9%, had been set in November 2011.
The exchange, which is Europe’s largest destination for equities trading and reporting, has continued to grow market share in key European markets:
- Share of trading in British stocks averaged 29.9%, up from 23.5% year-on-year. BATS traded 31.9% of all FTSE 100 securities during the month, and a further 27.2% of FTSE 250 stocks.
- Year-on-year market share in German stocks increased from 27.1% to 29.2%. The exchange’s share of trading in DAX stocks was 30.7% over the month, rising to 31.8% (up from 28.9%) in the MDAX.
- Share of trading in French, Dutch, Belgian and Portuguese stocks averaged 23.6% across the four markets (26.1%; 25.4%; 26.1% and 16.7% over the month respectively). In October 2014 average market share across the four markets was 20.5%.
- Market share in Nordic markets remains strong, with average market share across Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish markets at 24.3%.
- In Spain, BATS’ market share of IBEX 35 stocks rose to 24.7%, up from 16.6%.
In addition, the exchange announced the opening of a new order book, which will allow market participants to access auction functionality throughout the trading day, in a bid to encourage trading in larger size. The Periodic Auctions Book launched on Monday, 19th October.
BXTR, BATS’ trade reporting facility, retained the #1 spot with an estimated 65% market share, with €390.1 billion reported, an average of €17.3 billion per trading day.
October 2015 Volume and Market Share Overview
|European Equities (BATS Chi-X Europe)|
|Pan-European Consolidated Volume1 – Average Daily Notional Value||€49.1 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Overall European Market Share||26.0%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Total Notional Value Traded||€281.1 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Average Daily Notional Value||€12.8 billion|
European Trade Reporting (BXTR)
|BXTR – Total Notional Value Reported||€390.1 billion|
|BXTR – Average Daily Notional Value Reported||€17.3 billion|
1Based on BATS Chi-X Europe market coverage, available at www.batstrading.co.uk
European Equities – BATS Chi-X Europe Highlights, Volume and Market Share Statistics
|BATS Chi-X Europe Market Share by Market 2
(In millions, except percentages)
|October 2015||October 2014|
|BATS Chi-X Europe overall market share||26.0%||22.3%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe Average daily notional value||€ 12,777.1||€10,988.9|
|Displayed average daily notional value||€ 11,456.9||€9,921.8|
|Non-displayed3 average daily notional value||€ 1,320.2||€1,067.1|
|London market overall||29.9%||23.5%|
|FTSE 100 securities||31.9%||25.0%|
|FTSE 250 securities||27.2%||22.3%|
|Paris market overall||26.1%||23.8%|
|CAC 40 securities||26.6%||24.0%|
|CAC Next20 securities||28.1%||26.8%|
|Frankfurt market overall||29.2%||27.1%|
|DAX 30 securities||30.7%||28.9%|
|Amsterdam market overall||25.4%||21.7%|
|Brussels market overall||26.1%||24.2%|
|BEL 20 securities||25.9%||23.6%|
|Milan market overall||16.3%||13.6%|
|FTSE MIB securities||17.3%||14.1%|
|Zurich market overall||24.6%||20.0%|
|Nordic market overall||24.3%||23.7%|
|Helsinki OMXH25 securities||29.6%||23.9%|
|Stockholm OMXS30 securities||26.2%||26.5%|
|Copenhagen OMXC20 securities||25.1%||22.1%|
|Oslo OBX securities||23.8%||21.3%|
|Vienna market overall||16.7%||20.5%|
|Lisbon market overall||16.7%||12.1%|
|Dublin market overall||14.4%||10.9%|
|ISEQ 20 securities||14.4%||10.9%|
|Madrid market overall||23.6%||16.1%|
|IBEX 35 securities||24.7%||16.6%|
|EUROSTOXX 50 securities||26.3%||22.5%|
2Represent consolidated figures for BXE and CXE lit and dark books, unless otherwise noted.
3BXE and CXE non-displayed order books.
For additional European equities market volume information: BATS Pan-European Market Volume Summary